Monday, December 29, 2008

My Share of the Bailout- Mark It PAID


I spent my entire morning today in the waiting room of my friendly Chrysler-Jeep-Dodge dealership. It seems that, on the rainy day after Christmas, the left rear window of my Jeep fell abruptly inside the door while I was motoring over to the lake. Did I say it was raining? It was raining. Trying to run it back up resulted in nothing but a clack-clack-clack ratchety kinda sound.

So I took it in to have it repaired this morning since it was 70 degrees, clear, and no rain in sight to fall unobstructed onto the back seat.


Sadly, the same thing happened thirteen months ago to this very window. At that time the "window regulator" (AKA: small motor and assorted moving parts and brackets) was still under warranty. I pointed out to the service writer this morning that the same thing had happened before in the hopes that she would say, "We stand behind our genuine Jeep parts and our work here at your friendly, neighborhood Chrysler-Jeep-Dodge dealership. With times as tough as they are in the American automobile business we want to show you just how much we value you as a customer so we will do that work for free! Thank you for your loyalty to our product."


But, actually, she said, "Well, the warranty on that repair service was 12 months and 12,000 miles and it's been 12 and a half months and 17,000 miles... so that'll be $450.00. And, by the way, our service tech cracked the door panel while working on the window so we ordered a new one and will call you when it comes in so you can bring the Jeep back for us to install it."


Gee. Thanks.
I stopped to look at a Toyota FJ Cruiser on the way home.