Sunday, December 28, 2008

There's A Big Story To Tell

Matt Labash visited Detroit recently and has a story to tell.

Do we even realize what we're seeing in front of us today?

Do we understand that putting hope and faith in big and still bigger government is a fool's errand?

Years ago I lived on an Indian reservation in Montana. I was teaching in an Indian school run by Franciscans, but I was the one who learned far more than my Cheyenne and Crow students. One lesson I learned there was not one I expected when I arrived. That lesson was that dependence on government breeds destruction, pathology, and failure.

These days it seems like the entire nation is traveling towards life on a reservation. Trust me, you do not want to live on "the rez", no matter what the Great White Father in Washington DC promises you in the way of free health care and swell guvmint schools.

When I lived in Montana, industry was still booming in Motown. Now the remaining citizens of Detroit appear to be even worse off than the poorest reservation dweller I ever met. It might look like the grimmest scene from a movie about Armageddon, but it is not too late.

Labash marks a portion of Psalms in a gift book that is the perfect helping hand. There is only one way out of the self-created mess. It will take strong hearts, self-reliant confidence, and faith. Tons of faith. There's land under your feet. It has a value despite nobody needing it for houses. Use it.

"The Lord is my light and my salvation--whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life--of whom shall I be afraid? .  .  . Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear, though war break out against me, even then will I be confident."- Psalms