Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Garsh! Government Is Very Expensive


Joining clubs is not something I do. To get me to be part of any organized group is difficult. I like to think of it as being a "bold individual." Enemies define that as "anti-social jerk." As a lone wolf I meet that derision with, "Who cares? Tell everyone I was there and send me the commemorative t-shirt."


But I am a charter member of The Club for Growth. Now that's a club I'm very happy to join. Over on the C4G's blog yesterday Andrew Roth posted something interesting. It seems that a little more than 141 years ago, the U.S. government bought Alaska for $7.2 million (1.9 cents an acre). Adjusted for inflation that comes to $104 Million today-- still a huge bargain. Andrew's punchline isn't too funny though-- in 2006 alone Alaskan Senator Ted Stevens secured $325 million in pork projects for the state! Told ya $104Mill was a bargain.